Wednesday 2 January 2019

Diving into the dark



I will probably remember 2018 as the year I had a breakdown and nobody noticed. On a personal level, it has been awful, on a business level it has been dire. The only brightness came toward the end  of the year when I won a brace of awards for The Beaufort Bride and The Beaufort Woman, with The Beaufort Woman being chosen as The Coffee Pot Book Club's Book of the Year 2018. There was some dancing and smiling on that day. Thank you so much for that Mary Anne Yarde - you may have rescued me. It certainly persuaded me not to give up!



There are always positives, of course. Sisters of Arden was published in November and is already starting to gain some nice reviews and going some way to reviving flagging sales on my other books. The summer was good! It was warm and sunny for months, and I swam in the sea a lot this year. The garden looked fabulous, blooming marvellous in fact but the Book of the Year 2018 award, and spending a week in June with my son on the beach, were the highlights – the rest of the time was either stressful or tedious. I won’t make a lengthy list of resolutions I won’t stick to but some things (mostly exterior) have to change and since I cannot change the world (not on my own anyway) I shall have to change myself.



I shall continue to concentrate on my writing and try to find ways to reach new readers, and I have already begun research for the next book, I must also set aside time for the things I want to do rather than should do. I will endeavour to forget about Trump and Brexit and my dwindling bank account. I am going to bury my head in the sand. 



I shall lie in the daisies and look at the sky, I will push myself to walk further and not hurry back to my desk to squeeze out another chapter by tea time. I will laugh more, I will kiss my grandsons and spend time with my family, quality time; I will stay on the beach until sunset even if my back hurts and I am craving my bed. I will sit on the floor and build lego spaceships, paint bad paintings of impossible things. I will switch on the lights and chase away darkness, dance in the garden, and not let sorrow strangle my music. I must learn to live again … if the world will let me.

A big thank you to all my readers and fellow authors without whom I'd have to get a proper job. Happy New Year Everyone! Let us hope it is a better one.



10 comments:

  1. Just remember what an inspiration you are to less successful authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration. The Beaufort Woman was more than worthy of the gold medal. It was the best book I read this year. Fabulously narrated, wonderful storytelling. I loved, loved loved it!!. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw thank you guys, I had no idea I was an inspiration. Hopefully this year I will have more energy and enjoy life a bit more. That is my plan anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this educative writeup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your means of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Blog is awesome. Really appreciate your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I realized a lot of things using this

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for always writing good things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog site. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very well article written . Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete