Friday 15 September 2023

How to Dress like a Tudor

 


I don't always dress like a Tudor lady but you could if you wished. My first attempt to sew  my own was laughable but luckily I made it from an old pair of curtains – curtains I quickly realised were far too small for the purpose. Undaunted, I bought more fabric and began again with better results this time, but it wasn’t until my third gown that I finally came up with a wearable and reasonable HA garment. 

By this time we were both into dressing up for Tudor events so I began to make clothes for my husband. He now has almost as many different outfits as me. Then I made a set of clothes for Henry VIII and dragged my son along to play the part of the king. Unfortunately, he can’t come out with us very often but when he does, he makes the perfect king.



Before long I’d met a fellow Tudor enthusiast who was keen to join me and we started a small group, The Fyne Companye of Cambria, and now in the summer we haunt the castles of  Wales. There are four main members now with others who come out with us when they can. We don’t take ourselves very seriously; we believe re-enactment should be fun and if our costumes are not quite right, they are close enough to convince the visitors to the castles. We enjoy adding to their experience and sometimes the caste throws in a free lunch – what could be better than that?


My first few projects were challenging, but I learned quickly and am still learning. I will never be an expert, but the most important lesson was not to be afraid of it. I now know how to construct a stiffened bodice, how to pleat miles and miles of skirt into a tiny (well, it seems tiny) waistband. My methods are not always authentic, but I manage to produce French hoods, gabled hoods, coifs, and bags for fellow re-enactors and have also sewn a couple of medieval houppelande gowns, shifts and kirtles, and several more Tudor gowns. I used to have an Etsy shop but couldnt keep up with demand and there was a danger of my hobby becoming a chore.

I do not and never will rank among the best sewers so I was surprised to be asked to write a book about my journey for Pen and Sword publishing. I did explain that there are far more accomplished historical sewers out there, but as I said before, I like a challenge. In the book I cover the history of Tudor fashion from the reign of Henry VII to Elliabeth I but mainly concentrate on  my main area of interest which is Henry VIII. I also offer tips for those considering taking the plunge an dmaking their own Tudor inspired clothing. 

I think (hope) the book, which will be published on 30th September 2023 illustrates that with research, patience, determination and sometimes a little bit of cheating, anyone can dress like a Tudor.



How to Dress like a Tudor

Judith Arnopp

Have you ever hankered to dress like a Tudor lord or lady, or perhaps you prefer the status of goodwife, or costermonger, or even a bawd? 

For beginner historical reenactors, the path to authenticity can be bewildering and sometimes intimidating. Judith Arnopp uses her own experience, both as a historian and a medieval/Tudor lady, to make your own journey a little easier.

The author traces the transition of fashion from the relatively subtle styles popular at the court of Henry VII, through the carefully constructed royal grandeur of Henry VIII, Edward VI, and Mary I to the pinnacle of majesty and splendid iconography of Elizabeth I. 

In contrast to the magnificence of court come the ordinary folk who, subject to sumptuary laws and regulations, wore garments of a simpler cut and cloth – a strata of society that formed the back bone of Tudor England.

This brief history of 16th century fashion examines clothing for both rich and poor, adult and child, and offers tips and tricks on how to begin to sew your first historically inspired garment, this book is aimed at helping the beginner learn How to Dress like a Tudor.


How to Dress like a Tudor is available for pre-order now

http://mybook.to/howtodress


No comments:

Post a Comment